Old 08-06-2014, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default It's songbird's fault

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:

On 8/06/2014 9:43 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
The summer rain might be a problem too.

Could be. I tend to let my tarragon get quite dry before I notice that
it's gagging for a drink - dunno why it thrives given how badly I treat
my poor clumps.

Apart from being miserable, clay does hold water, so that probably
helps. Where it rains more, good drainage helps - where it rains less,
clay can be a good thing (not being from where it rains less, most of
the time, and being abundantly supplied with clay, I found that sentence
hard to actually commit to print...2-3 dumptruck loads of sand would
improve my garden immensely.)

I really don't find it fussy, just prone to not all surviving the
winter. On the other hand, I seem to recall that I expanded the range
admitted to in one of the rec.gardens FAQs that was or is running around
the net from days of old.