Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
User Bp User Bp is offline

Default Anybody tried alfalfa as a groundcover?

Hi all,

Has anyone following this newsgroup tried to use alfalfa as a lawn/groundcover
plant? I'm trying it now (in the Central Valley of California, USA) and it
seems promising. If anybody can offer experiences or insights I'd be grateful.

The variety I'm using is called Nomad, developed for direct grazing on non
irrigated rangeland. It tolerates (at least for the first season) being
mowed at 2" height and makes a reasonably neat lawn. Unmowed it'll look
weedy, with stems about a foot high, but that's not a problem unless
it gets into flowerbeds.

The only disappointment so far is that the flowers are yellow, which looks
like many common weeds. Purple flowers found on "industrial" alfalfas are
much more attractive and can be spectacular in mass.

If anybody's tried something of the sort I'd be grateful for your experience.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska