Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green potatoes

On 6/9/2014 10:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 6/9/2014 10:06 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

Go he http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002875.htm

That says:
The poison is found throughout the plant, but especially in green
potatoes and new sprouts. Never eat potatoes that are spoiled or
green below the skin.

To me, that means the potato is safe if the green is localized to the
skin. We have never gotten ill from such potatoes even though we
generally eat the skins.

Also, with potatoes that have started to sprout but are still firm, we
remove the sprouts and then cook and eat the potatoes without suffering
any harm.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see