Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Green potatoes

It is simply impossible to get enough calories without grains, tubers
and bananas, all high carb foods. Despite all its drawbacks we simply
cannot give up farming and become hunter-gatherers,

Hunter-gatherers would have gorged on any form of food that was abundant
if they could get their hands on it regardless of whether it was a carb
or a protein so I find it odd that anyone would try to turn back the
food clock.

we cannot turn the
clock back 10,000 years and specifically we cannot give up farming
grain. How do you think the green revolution saved hundreds of millions
from starvation?

Please don't rabbit on about T2 diabetes, a disease of the people of
rich countries who over eat and under excercise, focus on this one
question.

How do you feed the world for the next 50 years without heavy reliance
on farming and consuming high carb crops?

In case you missed it I repeat: please don't rabbit on about T2
diabetes, a disease of the people of rich countries who over eat and
under excercise, focus on this one question.

Yes. I find it amazing how little exercise seems to be done these days
in comparison to how much intake of chow there is in our modern
societies. The paleo walking regime would be a good thing to resurrect.
Or even a Victorian walking regime.

There is an innitiative of the Qld health dept that has gone round the
country as a Healthy Heart program. It's called something like
"10,000steps" and the goal is to walk 10,000 steps each day. I put on a
pedometer and did over 10,000 steps on a normal day of doing housework,
gardening and animal care. I did 2 lots of baking in addition to the
meals, did a bit of gardening, did 2 loads of washing and hung them out
on the line and then brought the clothes in when they were dry and put
them away. I did a bit of vacuuming and visited the chooks twice to let
them out, feed and water them, collect the eggs and then lock them up
for the night. Just an average day for me but I wonder what a lazy
sloth step count would be.