Old 10-06-2014, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Will a lawn fertilizer (30-0-3) cause flowers to NOT bloom?

On 6/8/2014 7:40 PM, Lawn Guy wrote:
My wife seems to think that when my lawn fertilizer (30-0-3) gets into
her flower bed, it causes the flowers to put out more leaves and less
blooms. Specifically lillys.

True - or false?

Depends on how much gets in there. A little bit probably won't hurt,
but if you're talking a standard application, well then you'll
probably end up with much taller plants and potentially fewer flowers.

I made that mistake my first year of gardening, when I was a teenager.
I later used it as an example of over-use of fertilizer in my talks I
gave as a master gardener: "The first year I grew broccoli, it was
four feet tall. The stems were thick as baseball bats. I was so proud!
I waited all season, but it never set heads..."