Old 10-06-2014, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Not a good year so far

In article
" writes:
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:29:05 PM UTC-4, Drew Lawson wrote:

Um, vole problem? What are they doing?
As the gophers taught me 3-4 years ago, fertilizer does no good if
the plants don't have roots anymore.

My freezers are empty, I was counting a large amounts of produce.

That was last year for me. I was all ready to ramp up canning and
about all I got were occasional snacks. So far things are looking
good, though not as far along as I'd like.

The voles ate about 20 pepper plants in all. We made cages for
them with a bottom so that problem is gone I
think. I still have traps and decon out for them. Haven't lost any plants lately.

That would be frustrating. I only get that from the slugs and the
deer, with the deer mostly stepping on seedlings.

My only other thought is from reflecting on my problems last year
-- are you sure they have enough water? Last year (and similar so
far this year), we had frequent rains, but not much rainfall. I
kept not watering because it had just rained. In fact, it had
rained about 1/10", and most of that just evaporated.

My plants had enough water that they didn't wilt, but not enough
to grow when they should have been.

Hopefully other's are more helpful. I'm no expert. I just have
many years of playing in the dirt.

--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |