Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Not a good year so far

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:05:54 PM UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
On 6/10/2014 1:49 PM, wrote:

I have had a hard time with peppers that are now finally starting to take off. Now the zucchini and yellow squash is turning yellow and the fruit are shriveling up and dying. Plenty of sun, water, epsom salt, black cow and 10.10.10. Too much? I am so frustrated this year. There is the whole vole problem, slow growing plants and now this. Ideas or words of encouragement?? My freezers are empty, I was counting a large amounts of produce.

MJ

Do you have squash borers? They decimated our yellow squash but don't

seem to affect the zucchini. Some of our squash is going yellow because

we are getting daily temperatures in the low nineties Fahrenheit.

We have been lucky in that we have had over twelve inches of rain in the

last month. This time last year we were in drought conditions and spent

lots of money watering the gardens. During the winter I put in soaker

hoses in the raised bed vegetable gardens and drip irrigation around the

fruit trees and in the flower/vegetable in ground beds.

How has your weather been? That can be the critical element.

It has been hot, 94 today, but it is always hot this time of year. I am in Eastern North Carolina. No borers. No squash bugs, no cut worms. I am stumped.
MJ