Old 11-06-2014, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Not a good year so far

On 6/11/2014 12:51 AM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 11/06/2014 4:49 AM, wrote:
I have had a hard time with peppers that are now finally starting to
take off. Now the zucchini and yellow squash is turning yellow and the
fruit are shriveling up and dying. Plenty of sun, water, epsom salt,
black cow and 10.10.10. Too much? I am so frustrated this year. There
is the whole vole problem, slow growing plants and now this. Ideas or
words of encouragement?? My freezers are empty, I was counting a large
amounts of produce.
MJ

You'll get a bumper crop if you already have full freezers and don't
want or need a great harvest. Sometimes I dunno why we all bother.

Amen! We had a bumper crop last year even with drought, this year we're
getting plenty of rain but the crops aren't doing as well as last year.
Picked a zucchini a couple of days ago, we had gone out of town for
three days and came home to a zuke that was four inches in diameter and
fifteen inches long. Cut it and it had tiny seeds and was very firm,
turned it into a large squash casserole for dinner. I guess it rained
while we were gone and squash of every kind suck up all the water they can.

I rearranged the big freezer last week, still have produce from 2009
through 2013 in there, all neatly vacuum bagged and labeled. All the old
stuff is now at the front. I think we need a walk in freezer, maybe in
the spare bedroom. G