Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Not a good year so far

On 6/11/2014 7:39 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
said:

Here is another thought. The 10.10.10 I have is 2 years old and has gotten wet.
Not wet enough to dissolve, but wet. Will this stop the effectiveness?

Did it develop a slight amonia smell? That would have been some of the nitrogen
disappearing.

I also forgot to mention the spent coffee grounds that I put in the dirt. They can't
be bad can they? They are supposed to be good for everything else.

Generally, I either use coffee grounds spread thinly over the surface or mixed with
other organic mulch (generally, shredded leaves). Otherwise, they go in the
compost.

I'd worry that mixing them "fresh" into the soil would alter the pH or tie up some
N as the coffee grounds start to decay.

Coffee grounds are very acidic, definitely will alter the pH and also
will tie up nitrogen as they decay. I only compost it, along with other
acidic food stuff.