Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Raccoons!

On 6/11/2014 1:50 AM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 11/06/2014 10:38 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:20:02 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 6/10/2014 7:27 PM, wrote:

BooHoo,

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it
did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more,
but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a
plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left
alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played
rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they
left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

TIA,

Julie

Get the largest Hav-a-hart trap and bait with peanut butter.

You can catch and release or kill raccoons or groundhogs

We just got done -- I hope! -- with another raccoon episode.
He/she/it usedt to come in the cat door, scarfed cat's food; messed
his water dish. That's when I was told that raccoons don't have
salivary glands (???) and have to wash their food? It took dim me a
while to grok (dated) what was happening.

Our local shelter used to let us check out cages to catch critters; I
once caught a whole possum family over a week's time. Now they don't
even RENT cages; "We don't pick up live animals" some wording like
that. La-di-dah!

Can't afford a commercial cage, so had to do the obvious AGAIN. Block
up the cat door and let cat enter/exit via bedroom window. Last time
I was too stupid to provide steps, so cat ruined wallpaper scratching
his way up.

Good luck on your raccoon problem! Does your community have an animal
shelter that might help?

(Thinking: Wish I still had my son's old .22)

Now Higgs, what sort of good patriotic old boy are you that you don't
even have a .22 in your house?

I could lend you one but you're a bit too far away and it'd probably
result in me losing my Gun Licence if I did such a thing anyway.......

Higgs posts to ask how to flush his toilet
But, that is besides the point.
Maybe where he lives rabies is not endemic but it is here.
Cat door, to me is a dumb idea.
He's not the first to come down in the morning to find a raccoon eating
cat food in his house.
Hav-a-hart type trap is not hard or expensive to make yourself. I made
one with a chicken wire frame and a sliding door tripped by bait wire in
the back of the trap. Got a real Hav-a-hart when I caught a skunk in my
home made trap and had trouble getting rid of it.