Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default Request for plant ids

On 11/06/2014 18:23, Spider wrote:
On 11/06/2014 12:48, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 10/06/2014 20:24, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone would recognise any of the 6 plants in this
photoset please? All growing on heavy non alkaline clay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...7644693912260/

A couple of bushes I'm trying to decide whether to keep or not
("Boring shrub" and "Fluffy bush"). Not sure about "Tree" either. It's
green - that's all I can say about it. It's also over a sewer line so
I'm interested if its roots are likely to be evil and far reaching...

The others I am merely curious:

"Ground stuff" is quite nice and soft - wondering whether to encourage
it.

"Dead shrub" is very weird - looks like a dried twig half the year,
then does a Lazarus in about May.

"Nice tree" is really rather pretty. Slow growing, bendy twisty
branches.

I've uncovered all of these since hacking back the jungle that used to
be here...

Many many thanks if anyone has any ideas?

And HOW do you ID plants, apart from knowing what lots of them look
like? It's not something Google image matching helps with and I'm too
ill informed (though I'd like to improve).

Cheers

Tim

I agree the boring shrub may be weigelia but it ought to be in flower?
Fluffy shrub is maybe a Spiraea
Dead shrub is not dead its a honeysuckle, most likely one of the late
Dutch sorts (will be nice in August)
tree/shrub is a lilac
I don't know the nice tree

Some sort of cherry I think - you can see the fruits. But the leaf veins
being relatively few and swept forwards is bothering me.

I thought this tree might be an apple, possibly crab apple. Does that
help, Stewart?

Maybe. The leaf venation does look rather like an apple. Maybe it's an
ornamental crab.

the ground stuff is a weed called milfoil I think its a sort of Achillea

For id purposes flowers always help as do leaves, each genus has
characteristics like leaves being in pairs or single, this helps narrow
down the area of brain to be rummaged in, but its often a case of "I
used to have that!"

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley