Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horseradish

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:30:45 +0100, David Hill wrote:

"Low-sodium salts typically replace some of the sodium in sodium
chloride with potassium, so they're a mixture of sodium and potassium
chloride. Potassium chloride does have a salt-like taste, but there's a
reason we've been sprinkling our steaks exclusively with sodium-infused
crystals for thousands of years -- potassium chloride can kill you.

Potassium chloride is the principle positive ion in our body's cells and
can help lower blood pressure. Unfortunately, it can also stop your
heart. In fact, potassium chloride, while safe in small dosages, is the
toxin of choice for many states' lethal injection procedures, so it's
definitely not something you want to ingest in excess. Most low-sodium
salts advise you to consult a doctor before consuming, but if you ask
us, it's safer to just stay away from non-food products, especially if
they can kill you."

Hey, I'm hypokalemic (that is, my blood is potassium poor) and I still
don't want to eat any non-food products... which is not to say that the
stuff would raise my potassium either. Some of us just don't absorb the
stuff correctly, no matter how much of it we eat.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy