Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
David G. Bell

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Monday, in article
"Tim Lamb" wrote:

This is part of the same tune. You have convinced me beyond all possible
argument that British farmers were aware of the coming downturn in their
fortunes.

Our collective breath is held pending your suggestions as to how we
should have *fixed* things.

One of the problems is that it makes sense for the individual to sell up
and get out of farming. But if everyone does the same the markets for
land and surplus farm machinery, and all the other assets of the farming
business, will collapse. And nobody gets anything.

The current land prices, from what I hear, are not all that stable.
Some of the big estate agency companies are admitting that not a lot of
land is actually selling.

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.