Old 12-06-2014, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Green potatoes

On 12/06/2014 3:39 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:45:24 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:

Don't you have any sidewalks in your suburb?

Not in suburb. Very small city on the Pacific(Santa Monica) right next to very big city, Los Angeles. Yeah, we have sidewalks, traffic lights; the whole enchilada. But plenty of places to walk, esp. the sea cliff Promenade.

(In some huge LA shopping malls, people -- women? older -- have regular walking groups. Partly social, I would assume? But in this nice climate, why walk indoors?)

In my tiny city we have overbuilding, courtesy of idiot contingent on City Council, resulting in even more traffic, also from people coming in from outside to work in high tech, medical, other (it's a desirable area). I'll often walk downtown or if backpack overloaded,take the bus,just not to deal with parking.

You asked about sidewalks. One street in ritziest part of town, has no sidewalks! I kid you not! Those fortunate souls need never be crude pedestrians. I vaguely understand that in the next county the car-oriented, sterile fortress suburbs often have only driveways; no sidewalks

You are correct in that one can fit in a 10-15 min. fast walk as you described; just takes determination. I go forth inspired!

LOL. Glad to hear that you are inspired :-)) I went for a walk this am
with a group of women and a bunch of dogs. I took my dog but left him
in the car as he gets anxious if expected to walk in unknown territory.
We mostly walked in the middle of the road even though there were
footpaths - it's great where I live as a couple of cars during the day
is a traffic jam. After my walk, I left my car where it was and went to
check out a house that may be coming on the market (we're thinking that
we need to downsize soonish) and then I walked on to the library. I was
glad that I had my backpack as I'd gone to pick up only 1 book I had
ordered in on interlibrary loan and left with about 8 more books - a
couple of really interesting looking gardening books amongst them.

Now you've got me wondering about one of my favourite rollicking yarn
type authors - I can't recall if she wrote abut Santa Monica or some
other west coastal area.

Just did a google - it was Santa Teresa she writes about.