Old 12-06-2014, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Green potatoes

On 12/06/2014 2:45 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/11/2014 09:15 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
I just don't see it. That same farm land can grow other crops.

No it can't. Country where wheat and sheep are produced cannot grow
vegetables. Our land, where we currently produce beef cattle, could not
grow vegetables. We also cannot grow grapes successfully either.

It's all abbut the class of land (which relates to the quality of the
land) and rainfall/water. The former is not high quality enough for the
production of vegetables and the latter is just plain old deficient.

Hi Fran,

You are correct. And, I also think you misunderstand me.

What I meant was that where wheat is grown, other
crops can be substituted.

Wheat country is dry country. Grain grows well in that country which is
why it is grown there. Other crops can be grown there but they need
irrigation and that is not an option in so many grain growing areas.

Depends on consumer demand.
Wheat farmer don't make squat off of wheat. Who grows
wheat in the desert anyway? That is for livestock.

The only person to mention growing wheat in the desert is you. Wheat
grows in dry country but I've never heard of anyone growing wheat in a
desert.

By the way, you can grow hemp on the same land as
wheat with half the water and apparently, if you listen
to their advocates, make twice the money per acre.

Not according to the NSW Department of Primary Industry:
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...or-nsw.pdf.pdf

Hemp needs irrigation but wheat does not in NSW. Also the wheat growing
areas would be too hot for hemp to be grown successfully.

Where sheep and cattle are typically raised (my Nevada
for example), the ground is only capable of producing
cellulose (grass). The livestock then converts it
into food for us.

But not always, you aught to try some of Fallon's
cantaloupes. Grown right in the middle of the desert.
(No doubt livestock scat has a great deal to do with
it.)

In California's central valley (over the hill from
us, the land of fruits and nuts -- I wonder if Higgs
will catch that), they have all kinds of vegetables,
wheat, etc., all mixed together.

On full circle farms, the do grow cows, sheep,
turkeys, chickens, vegetables, and grass. But,
that is on land with more water than our desert.

By the way, Fallon is about and hour and half
drive away. None of us here can grow a cantaloupe
for our lives! Life is cruel that way.

-T

Thank you by the way. Ranching in very difficult
work and you don't get paid squat for it. Grass
fed too! I have a lot of admiration for what you do.

Speaking of Fallon, Mori-Lahatton runs a ranch
and his own butcher house. Grass fed only. He
says he only gets 2 lbs a day versus 3 lbs a
day with the chemicals. His cows are allowed to
walk around and are not penned up where they can
only lift theirs head up and down to eat.

He hangs his beef the old fashioned way. Tastes
so good, you would not think it was the same
animal as in the grocery store! And he and
his whole family work the butt off.