Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default Horseradish

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:06:07 +0200,
Martin wrote:
So what is the German name of the type of radish used?

In Bavaria it is a simple „Radi“.
Everywhere else it depends on the amount of folklorism that a regional
population is willing to introduce into its own language. They should
say simply „Rettich“ or „weißer Rettich“ (white radish), but many say
„Radi“, even outside of Bavaria.
If not someone imposes some corrections, we can now observe a “false
friend” in evolution. More fun for the translators of cookbooks, less for
the people daring to try out a new recipe... At least, here in France,
they've got it right, so far.

One day the French will serve real German beer with spiral cut large white
radish.

The “new” french beers are all very good. As the breweries are small,
they are almost confined to simplicity, which always makes the best
beers. Those that I know are using organically grown ingredients and
normally have some BIO-label (although it is «AB» most of the time,
meaning “officially certified”, meaning conveniently low standards).

Unfortunately the best brewery in our vicinity is shutting down. It was
run by an English guy and called «Le Brewery».

But even the French are over-impressed by the fuss and noise, that we
Germans do around our own produce or importance. *This* is really
inconvenient. I cannot even say, that I enjoy French beer without the
next Frenchmen expressing doubt...

Cheerio,

Michael
--
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]