Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horseradish

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:08:53 +0100, Spider wrote:

I never knew that! I put salt on most (savoury) things, so I'm now
wondering if that makes me a wimp ...?

Salt makes taste sensitivity low.

I gave up salt because of health reasons and within a few days
realised how many flavours I had been missing.

Odd, that, because I cut down on salt for years until an infection all
but killed my sense of taste. Now that I (feel) I have to use more salt
again, I find salt increases flavours.

Isn't that just the flavour of the salt?

No. While salt can mask flavours, you have to use a huge amount
for it to do that - typically, it enhances them. However, most people
in 'the west' DO use a huge amount - so much that I cannot tolerate
many processed foods at all and almost always need to drink large
quantities of water when eating out. I have a very low salt
tolerance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.