Old 12-06-2014, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Green potatoes

In article
Todd writes:
On 06/11/2014 09:48 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

Can you be more specific. Which fats do you say should be grown?

Any kind that doesn't come from a test tube.

Interesting response from someone who advicates more hybridization
of our food crops.

As for calories. Eat an avocado!

And how do you propose that anyone grows avacodoes in cereal producing
country?

Grow cows. I love to eat cows too. What a silly argument.

Perhaps you can show me a cite for a means to raise cattle that
produces anywhere the same calories/acre that grain does. Without
that, your proposal still reduces the effective food supply.

And where is the fat coming form? Specifically.

Anywhere natural. Cows, avocados, coconuts, etc.. This isn't
rocket science.

Cows can be frost tollerant, at least. Do you have any other
suggestions that can work in North Dakota or Alberta? High fat
crops have a tendency to be tropical. One exception is nuts, which
won't work for the increasing segment with nut allergies. The other
exceptions are grains (source of most vegetable oils), which you
denounce.

Jesus wept! Why on earth would you think David might have a Mexican
grocery store near him?

Hmmmmmm.. Maybe because he is from the Peoples Republic
of California. (I may have him mixed up with Higgs.)

I thought he was in Oz, though I have trouble keeping track of
things like that.

What do you say can replace grain? Be specific
and if you don't know then say so because platitudes don't cut it.

Do you ever go to a grocery store? Just look in the
produce section. Would you like a specific list of what
I eat?

*You* are proposing that non-grain produce can replace grains, with
equal food value, using the same crop land, as a global practice.
I don't see it as unfair to ask you to specify which crops have
this potential.

By the way, I eat ZERO grains. They will first maim me then
kill me. And I am just fine.

Feed the grains and the rest of the plant to cows. I will eat
the cows!

-T

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.