Old 26-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Oz

Default Greed driving plant science

writes

A Fiat shares a lot of physical characteristics with a Lamborgini.
You don't care, I say that there is some difference.
Humans share lots of genes with the mouse. We share ~99% of the genes.
However, religious and ethical believes of many people might tell
them that is not the same to eat rat, pig, human or chicken.

OK so just having a whole bunch of genes in common doesn't turn a sheep
into a pig.

Right.

Now what is the simplest solution?
If it looks like a sheep, baaas like a sheep and tastes like a sheep
it's a sheep.

If it looks like a pig, grunts like a pig and tastes like a pig it's a
pig.

Problem solved.

Religious and cultural differences aside,

Ahh, you have figured you have lost that argument then.
OK.

I think having rats
with a complete set of the human immune system running
around in the sewer systems of the world is not a good idea
either.

Even humans don;t have a complete set of human immune systems.
We are all different.

Each organism has it's niche and broadening might not be
a good idea. It might expose us to unknown pathogens.

We are always being exposed to unknown pathogens.
It's what pathogens do.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.