Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Green potatoes

In article
Todd writes:
On 06/12/2014 12:46 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Remember, this whole subthread started with you saying that we
should stop farming grain, and David asking how you suggest feeding
the 7 billion humans without grain. You have yet to address that
question.

My suggestion is that we cut back on the things that
cause T2 Diabetes and substitute them with safer things.

The things I eat work fine. Do you need a list?
You will find them at any grocery store's produce
section. Some you have to go to specialty stores,
like Mexican Supermarkets.

Sure, a list would be great.
List the foods that will take the place of grain in the global food
system. Remember that grain is essentially non-perishable. It can
be shipped on slow-moving ships, and handle long, unrefrigerated,
transit to where the people are.

If you can't do that, then people will starve.

I'm happy for you that you like your new diet and lifestyle.
However, that does not address the question.

I think we need to deliberately try to hybridize towards fat
and away from carbs. In the mean time, you can grow all
kinds of other things on land that wheat grows on. Let a
free and open market dictate what.

What are these "all kinds" of food? They need to grow in the same
climates as grain, and handle the same soil types and water
requirements. They also need to produce on average the same
calories/acre as grain. Otherwise, you cannot meet the current
food demand, and people will starve.

The market does not decide what will grow where.

In the Philippines, where they are not fat, exercise A LOT,
eat rice, and consequently have a T2 Diabetes problem,
they are trying to transition to a special type of corn.

http://balita.ph/2013/07/29/corn-for...research-prof/

That article says nothing about "a special type of corn," unless
you consider white corn to be special. The article is about switching
from rice to corn.

By the way, I asked, and that variety of corn is not available
in the United States.

Asked who? Which variety?

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.