Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Horseradish

On 2014-06-11 18:13:48 +0000, Spider said:

On 11/06/2014 09:34, sacha wrote:
snip

Try a tiny dab of salt on melon. It brings the flavour out
wonderfully.

Goodness! I've never heard that, Sacha. I shall do it, albeit
nervously, next time I have melon. I'll report back.

My (former) Italian mil put me onto that. Like you, I was taken aback
having known only the English habit of using a bit of powdered ginger
which, to my tastebuds, does good, ripe, juicy melon no favours at all.
I was just amazed at how good it was and now do it always.

I've not even had ginger with melon until fairly recently (in a
restaurant). My mother used to serve it with a light sprinkle of
sugar, but RG and I eat it au naturel. Not very adventurous.

If they're really ripe and juicy, why not? I like salt and have to ask
Ray not to put too much onto his food because he loves it. All my
cajoling falls on (very) deaf ears most of the time!

The opposite occurs in our house. RG doesn't like salt, whereas I
sprinkle it in/on most things. I do check flavours first, rather than
scatter it willy nilly, but I've grown up with rather savoury foods, so
tend to crave it. It's surprising how deaf my ears can be at times! :~).

I use sea salt when I cook so it irritates me if people put salt onto
the food (rather than the side of the plate) before tasting it. I don't
mind at all if they add salt after they've actually checked they want
it and I don't take it as criticism. To me, food without salt is bland
and uninteresting but that's because my entire family has always used
quite a lot of salt without apparent bad results.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com