Old 13-06-2014, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea paniculata

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

They seem to go into a sulk when the snails get at them, I have some newly
planted Schizophragma and being related to Hydrangea have had to battle hard
to salvage them, but they are now starting to grow away. by contrast the
more established climbing hydrangea here are have a wonderful year, so stick
with it, use everything short of Napalm but get in early before the damage
starts!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs