Old 26-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Jane Gillett

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

In article ,
Gordon Couger wrote:

"Hamish Macbeth" wrote in message

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message
Wiht no evidence just another trade barrier for which the EU paying a

fine.

I wonder what happens if the US decides to press the case of GM crops

with
the WTO?

Does the WTO have any mandate for goods banned in an area?

This would suggest that American gun manufacturers could complain that
Britain is curbing their trade by blocking imports.

Ig GM crops are banned from all sources I don't see that WTO has any
authority.

The US postition is there is no differnce in GM crops and anyohter crop. We
don't treat them any differntly after they are approved and there is no
evidence that there is any danger more danger from them than any other food.

It's possible. But....

IMO there has not been and will never be an independent assessment of any
danger. The "interested parties" are too powerful for it to happen. The
major (US) multinationals can and do control the US govt to enhance the
interest of the major companies. One step further along the line, the US
govt is then driving the UK govt to take steps which will enhance the
financial reurns of the multinationals. According to you it is also trying
to drive the bodies which control world trade so that they also act in the
interest of the multinationals.

In that climate, I am very suspicious of any assessments leading to claims
of "no danger". I also have a strong personal aversion to any system which
says "I am bigger than you and I am going to see that I get my way.".
Jane

snip

--

Jane G : : S Devon