Old 13-06-2014, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Hydrangea paniculata

On 12/06/2014 20:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

I reckon it is sulking but it will probably live. Next time put a ring a
slug pellets around its base before the slugs get going.

Strangely I find cats also like to nibble the ends of shoots on some of
my hydrangeas but I have no idea why they do it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown