Old 26-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Oz

Default Greed driving plant science

writes

Oz wrote:

writes

If a certain percentage of the population is deadly allergic to ei. peanuts
and if someone puts the allergenic genes into corn. It will still be corn,
but now how can the allergic people tell? It looks like corn, it might
taste like corn, but now they can die from it.

See the US regs on this.

If you are religious and you don't eat human meat and somebody puts all the
human genes that encode for the human inmune system into a cow or pig
(Ok, Ok, put just those genes that make human's immune system different
from the pig's or cow's).
You will still be eating cow or pig, but are they? Now the pig has been
exposed and has had similar reactions to the pathogens that we humans are
susceptible to. Hepatitis anybody? I mean, that is why religion has some
taboos about consuming some foods or preparing them in certain ways, isn't it?
(ok some religious traditions are bogus, but there is a basis for it)

No.

If it looks like a pig, grunts like a pig and tastes like a pig it's a
pig.

I have friends that grunt like a pig and live like a pig. But no thanks.

They are still human because they don't look like a pig.
I am not responsible for your friends.

Problem solved.

Religious and cultural differences aside,

Ahh, you have figured you have lost that argument then.
OK.

No, I put those arguments aside because those are
absolute. You can not argue with someone telling them
that they do not believe in their religious beliefs!

You haven't offered any theological argument.

I think having rats
with a complete set of the human immune system running
around in the sewer systems of the world is not a good idea
either.

Even humans don;t have a complete set of human immune systems.
We are all different.

Humans, as a specie, have immune systems different from the pig's.
You are probably talking about alleles of the major histocompatibility
complex (MHC) -our immune system genes.
Bubonic plage affects humans not fish. AIDS affect humans not
fish or even chimps.
Yes, yes there are some pathogens that affect ei. many mammals,
we are different but we share some similitudes with our own
species and with others.

There you go. However pigs with human immune systems are under
development for organ transplants. I would presume in the UK (as in the
UK) this is tightly controlled.

Each organism has it's niche and broadening might not be
a good idea. It might expose us to unknown pathogens.

We are always being exposed to unknown pathogens.
It's what pathogens do.

pathogens interact with their hosts.

Indeed, so?

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.