Old 15-06-2014, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Potato blight

On 14/06/2014 18:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Indigo" wrote

The OH remarked it seemed a bit early for blight but we have had several
days of very warm and rather muggy weather here in Norfolk; just right for
encouraging all manner of trouble. The two plants he got rid of (Arran
Pilot) also had stems that were blackening at the base. He said one tuber
nearest the stem had a rotten patch and was binned as well. Could it be
something other than blight? So far the other plants still seem clear.

That is Black Leg not blight, usually comes from infected seed tubers which
is why it's randomly distributed through the rows and it's encouraged by wet
conditions. Arran Pilot is one of those susceptible to the disease as are
Majestic, Maris Bard, Desiree and Estima. So don't grow any of those for a
few years and don't replant your own tubers.
Resistant varieties are
Second Early.. Kestral, Saxon and Wilja
Maincrop... Maris Piper.

We we're telling my Dad about this earlier and he said it sounded more
like black leg too. I'd never heard of that before now, although he
apparently used to have it attack the spuds in one part of his veg plot,
when on the far side of his garden they do ok.

We only put in a few rows, but I'd be sorry not to be able to grow any
at all, as it's so much nicer to have new potatoes straight out of the
garden when they're ready, rather than from a shop.

The OH does buy new seed potatoes each spring and almost always chooses
Arran Pilot, which have normally been fine, but I'll make a note to get
a different, more resistant variety next year. Thanks very much for the
info, Bob.

--
Sue