Old 15-06-2014, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Friday the 13th!

On 15/06/2014 7:28 AM, bluechick wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:51:58 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 14/06/2014 1:59 PM, bluechick wrote:
Well, the "13th" started on the 11th and just.got.better. :-/

:-)) Well thankfully for me, yesterday (which was the 13th in this part
of the world) went well for me. I had booked in for a cancer checkup
before noticing that the test was going to be on Friday the 13th. I'm
not particularly superstitious but most people who had the sort of
cancer history that I do, would have had second thoughts about
proceeding on such a day. Thankfully, I got a clear report.

I can understand why you'd be wary. I'm so glad you had a good
report!

So, it wasn't raining and the temperature was in the upper 70s with
humidity at only 2000% or thereabouts. So, DH and I decided to check
out the garden and see what was ready to harvest. Lo and behold the
Cubanelle peppers I put in the bed affected by Mysterious Pepper Wilt
had gone crazy. Not only were they not wilted, they had each produced
a large pepper so I picked all three. I have plans for them.

What are you going to do with them?

I found a chicken dish we enjoy that uses mild Anaheim chiles and
fresh herbs. I like to use home grown instead of buying any chiles
and our herbs are ready to go but I had to wait on the Cubanelles. We
had a red onion in the garden that was ready too, an added bonus. I
usually chop up one large or two small Cubanelles and omit the
pimientos. Since all three Cubanelles were large, I'll probably use
the others to make chiles rellenoes since they're available, even
though I usually use poblanos for that.

Gazpacho-Sauced Chicken Breasts With Basil Oil

Original recipe by mygourmetconnection.com (with my tweaks) Yield: 4
servings

----Gazpacho----
14-1/2 oz can tomatoes; undrained
1/4 cup pimiento peppers; drained
1/4 cup fresh Cubanelle or Anaheim pepper; roughly chopped
1 slice bread; crust removed
1/4 cup red onion; chopped
3 cloves garlic; chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley; chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
salt & black pepper; to taste
----Chicken----
8 medium chicken cutlets; thinly sliced
olive oil
salt & black pepper; to taste
----Basil Oil----
1 cup fresh basil
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch salt; or to taste
a few drops of lemon or lime juice

Place all gazpacho ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth,
about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside at room
temperature. (I use canned tomatoes for this if we don't have fresh
but I prefer to throw a couple of large, roughly chopped and seeded
fresh tomatoes into the blender instead; the original recipe called
for canned fire-roasted tomatoes but I can't always find them).

Basil Oil: Place fresh basil leaves in a blender. (Sprinkle with a
little lemon or lime juice; pulse once or twice). Add olive oil and
salt. Puree. Reserve until needed for chicken.

Chicken: Preheat broiler (or grill).

Rub both sides of the chicken cutlets with olive oil and season with
salt and pepper. Oil broiler pan. Broil until lightly browned and
cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. (We usually throw
these on a hot, oiled grill instead of heating the broiler).

To serve: Spread a few tablespoons of gazpacho sauce on each of four
plates. Top with two of the cutlets and drizzle with Basil Oil.

(It's a tasty dish, wonderful when using fresh stuff from the garden.
I keep meaning to try it with a pork tenderloin instead of chicken.)

Oooooh! That does sound lovely. But a questions...

What part of the chook is a chicken cutlet?