Old 15-06-2014, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default wild winds

On 15/06/2014 12:23 AM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
songbird wrote:
a few days ago, could have been a tornado
skipping over, but others just say strong
winds, all i know is that it's not every
day you look out and realize the neighbor's
garage is gone. i've been through times
where the house was shaking before from
strong winds, but this time it was just wind
and rain from all directions at once (and a
calm eye for a moment), but no pressure change
so we were either off to one side or it didn't
form up until it was further north of us.

I assume from that description that you are thinking a tornado???? Can
a pressure change be felt so distinctly?

when i was a kid, we lived in another town which
gets a fair number of tornado activity (Grand
Rapids MI), my earliest memories are of staying in
the basement, being held up to the small window
to see the funnel clouds going over (not ones that
had actually touched down) and feeling my ears pop.

Reading that just sent a shiver down my spine. Scary!

turns out it was two garages gone, other
another neighbor lost a bit of their roof,
one a few houses further down has a large tree
on top of it (a two and a half story house with
a large pine tree on top of it). more damage
to trees, tree lots, house with a brick wall
partially gone, another tree smashed someone's
car, garage door blown outwards, hmm... the
road to the north of us which runs EW looks
like a few hundred trees down.

our place, no damage other than a few small
things tipped over, but i'd just finished
24.5 pints of freezer jam that needed to go
in the fridge/freezer and it couldn't because
the power was out. so it's soupy freezer jam
now known as tornado jam.

Ah -there's my answer - you were thinkign tonado.

How often do they occur wher eyou live?

we might have warnings a few times a year, but
nothing has hit us this directly in a long time.
there's way too many trees down. my sister got
pictures and will eventually get them to me, and
i'm sure there are pictures on the news sites, but
i've not had enough time to look using this slow
connection.

the roof did not leak. i think.

I hope for your sake that it didn't - sounds like you got a better deal
than your neighbours 'bird. Stay safe.

i've actually felt more scared when the house has
been shaking, this didn't seem as bad as other times,
until i looked out and saw the missing garage and the
damage to the neighbor's place out back.

the hexagon shape of the house and the large central
split stone fireplace and the heavy split stone wall
to the west along with the low sheltering cedar trees
(break up the winds coming across the open fields) make
this a tough nut to crack. most vulnerable spaces
would be the garage and this room off two of the facets.

when it gets bad i will duck into the small bathroom
with a blanket wrapped around me that is next to the
fireplace which is a fairly strong room on it's own -
if i'm in there i'd likely be safe from almost anything
short of a direct hit by a bigger tornado.

Well let's hope that you never find out what could happen if a big one
ever did hit.

They look nasty and just seeing them and the damage they do on the TV is
as close as I ever want to get to one.

ok, well enough dew should be dried off now and i can
get out and pick strawberries. we'll see how that goes
and if i'll have enough for a second large batch. i'll
pick all day, clean them up tonight and make jam
tomorrow. my lower back needs a few hours rests between
bouts of picking, standing, etc (but it is doing pretty
good which is why i know when to take a break : ) ).

:-)) I too know that back warning device.