Old 15-06-2014, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Blueberries

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 2:37:58 AM UTC-4, Fran Farmer wrote:
Does anyone here grow blueberries? If so, what sort of conditions do

they like please?

I've got about 700 plants including 2 species and 11 different varieties. Blueberries are very shallow rooted and thus require lots of water. a heavy mulch really helps with water retention. Blueberries require acid soil (pH 4.5-5.2) in order to metabolize the nutrients the require. Plants often survive in higher pH conditions, but they don't flourish.

I'm in USDA zone 7a at about 2000 feet above sea level. In this area the rabbiteye types (V. asheii) far out perform other species. I also have highbush (V. corymbosum). They are earlier and perhaps a bit better flavored, but don't produce nearly as well.

There are more than 40 species wild in N. America. The 2 mentioned above are the most common commercially grown. There is a cross between the 2 called Southern highbush that is commercially grown in pine bark medium in the most southerly areas of the blueberry range (mid Florida).

There is lots of information online. Look at state university websites (NC, VA, GA, OR) for information. NC State U has a very good one.

Hope this helps,
Steve