Old 15-06-2014, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Hydrangea paniculata

On 13/06/2014 09:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

I reckon it is sulking but it will probably live. Next time put a ring a
slug pellets around its base before the slugs get going.

Thanks, both of you. Odd. Slug pellets are infeasible where I want
it, so I need to get it to grow high enough before replanting it.
And, at 1 mm a week, I will not live that long ....

Strangely I find cats also like to nibble the ends of shoots on some of
my hydrangeas but I have no idea why they do it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Try the liquid slug killer and use it as a wash over the entire plant.
It seems to make the plants taste bad, even to critters such as Red Lily
Beetle. Haven't tried it on Vine Weevil yet, but another possibility.
It will certainly kill your molluscs, including any slugs underground,
and their eggs too.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London