Old 15-06-2014, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Hydrangea paniculata

On 15/06/2014 19:33, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 13/06/2014 11:29, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

I reckon it is sulking but it will probably live. Next time put a
ring a
slug pellets around its base before the slugs get going.

Thanks, both of you. Odd. Slug pellets are infeasible where I want
it, so I need to get it to grow high enough before replanting it.
And, at 1 mm a week, I will not live that long ....

Strangely I find cats also like to nibble the ends of shoots on
some of
my hydrangeas but I have no idea why they do it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Try a liquid slug killer and having mixed it have it in a spray for dry
evenings in the spring.

Aww! I just said that! Should have read through other posts firsts.
Don't you find the liquid slug killer dries in the spray nozzle,
causing it to block?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

No, perhaps I am more stingy with the amount of concentrate!!

Surely not, Charlie!
Perhaps I'll have to try a thinner dilution, then. I've often thought
about having a spray handy, but always worried about blockage. I think
I can manage a spot of stinginess, since I come from Yorkshire. Thanks
for the tip.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London