Old 17-06-2014, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Friday the 13th!

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:

I've become reasonably good at understanding USian but some of your
terms still evade me. I've recently discovered what Graham flour is but
every time I read that a recipe requires 'a stick of butter' I have to
go off and find out what that mean in terms of the weight of the butter.
Numbers and I aren't naturally good friends......

4 sticks to a pound. Assuming you get a half-kilo instead of a pound,
125 g/stick.

Now picture a USian who enjoys baking (yes, for fun on vacation even)
visiting friends in Britain and trying to figure out what in heck a
gas mark is. I winged it and came out OK (yeast bread is fairly
forgiving if you keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.) A while
after I got back here I actually found a conversion chart, but it
was not easy to track down (I don't know if you folks also use this
system?)

F .vs. C I was educationally equipped to deal with. "Gas Mark 1 - 7"
I had not a clue about.

On the blueberry reading front, add Maine (ME - Univ. of Maine at
Orono, or UMO is the home of the ag. extension) to your list as a
major producer of the "wild" lowbush types. What the heck, I'll
throw you a couple of links:

http://umaine.edu/blueberries/

http://umaine.edu/gardening/master-g...h-blueberries/