Old 17-06-2014, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Blueberries

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:59:57 PM UTC-4, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 16/06/2014 2:43 AM, Steve Peek wrote:

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 2:37:58 AM UTC-4, Fran Farmer wrote:

Does anyone here grow blueberries? If so, what sort of conditions do

they like please?

I've got about 700 plants including 2 species and 11 different varieties.

I assume that is a commercial planting?

(snip)

There is lots of information online. Look at state university websites (NC, VA, GA, OR) for information. NC State U has a very good one.

I'm feeling quite proud of myself as I managed to figure out what all of

those abbreviations for those States meant as I did my googling. That

may not seem much to you but it's an achievement for a furriner.

And those Unis have lots of great information! Thank you - printed out

and about to be put in my garden folder.

Hope this helps,

It did, thank you Steve - good reading for me for this overcast, cold,

winter's day by my fire.

Yep, it's semi-commercial, a little retirement income ya know.

Sorry, we usasians tend to think everyone understands our abbreviations. There are other state websites as well. I only mentioned the ones I have used as a resource. I'm in mountainous Western North Carolina, so the best bet for me was NC State. I worked directly with the states' blueberry guru from the soil test through the planting. I've found him and others there to be extremely helpful. The best bit of advise for getting started was "... if you can't irrigate as needed for the first couple of years, don't even try....". In my experience a blueberry plant that wilts is a dead blueberry plant..

Best of luck and if I can help let me know,
Steve