Old 18-06-2014, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default What species are these??

On 6/17/2014 3:30 PM, Julie Collyer wrote:

I have seen my garden this week infested by a particular breed of
caterpillar and I have no idea what it is. Can anyone let me know what
species this is and if it is something I have to worry about? Thanks!

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16080|

No idea what it is but...

Except for carnivorous caterpillars which seem to be isolated and rare and
tropical all caterpillars are plant-eating machines. If yours are doing
noticeable damage to desirable plants then you have something to worry
about; if they are eating your weeds you have reason to rejoice. That leads
me to think that you need to figure out not what they are but what they are
doing.