Old 18-06-2014, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Raccoons!

On 6/18/2014 10:12 AM, pentapus wrote:
BooHoo,

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it
did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more,
but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a
plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left
alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played
rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they
left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

TIA,

Julie

I don't have raccoons but I do have possums (not opossums). A possum is
smart, strong, agile climber, dedicated to the task of getting your
fruit and with good teeth. Is that like a raccoon? If so only wire
mesh that they cannot chew through or electric tape that they cannot get
past will keep them off ripe fruit.

Hmmm, my rough take on the difference is that a possum is much much
smarter. What kind of wire deters a possum?

I have opossums and raccoons here, though being piedmont urban, Atlanta,
not in large numbers.

I also have peaches disappear in one night.
I wonder which is the most likely perpetrator?

Looking for fence wire on the cheap. 1/2" hardware cloth is pricey in
quantity. What about regular welded wire?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_492387-16418...uctId=50017410

Or a mix?

When I had peach trees I saw groundhogs run off with them. They would
also burrow under chicken wire fencing around my garden.