Old 18-06-2014, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
bluechick bluechick is offline

Default Friday the 13th!

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:34:02 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 18/06/2014 6:11 AM, bluechick wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:21:12 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

the most - if it's an ounce SAY 1 ounce!), a 'finger of rum' etc. I've
seen "finger" used as a measure in more recent recipes but I still
don't know what it means. And whose finger?

:-)) Imagine wrapping your hand around the base of a the sort of
tumbler from which someone would drink neat whisky or whisky and water
or whisky and ice. Your fingers wrapped horizontally around the glass
would probably be a bit over half an inch high. That is what they mean
by a finger of rum.

Yep, David explained to me too. Makes perfect sense but it's still an
imperfect measurement. The diameter of the glass and the finger will
be close but never match exactly from person to person. So, it's one
of those things like a "pinch." Close enough for most recipes. Thank
goodness it's not rocket science.