Old 18-06-2014, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Removing cherry trees

"P. Alves" wrote ...

Birds. I honestly do not mind sharing the fruit, but the dam birds eat all
of them. Also the strong winds often destroy part of of the fruits.

Why not cover the trees in netting, as most people do with cherries, to stop
the birds, it would be a lot cheaper then getting new fruit trees and
waiting for them to fruit. We have a fruit cage over our 4 cherry trees and
I prune the trees to ensure they remain within the cage. The RHS at Wisley
cover their cherry trees in netting. Unfortunately we do have a problem with
mice climbing the trees but in a normal year we do get a decent crop of
cherries. Not this year as because of the mild wet winter the trees flowered
so early there were not many pollinating insects about.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.