Old 19-06-2014, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Aaaghhhhh , wilting zucchini

In article , says...
I was just out on a random check of the garden , found one of my zukes in a
very wilted condition ... no frass near the stem , plus I've been watching
for borer eggs . Digging along the root , I found it brown and partly
decomposed just below ground level . I opened the stem to check for pests ,
found a small red/orange something that might have been a bug , not sure .
This plant looked great when I did my early-morning deer-damage inspection .
It looked fine when I sprayed a protein-based deer-repellant on it later
this morning ...
I'm dismayed and VERY concerned as all my squashes/cukes are in this part
of the garden . And my early straight-necks are already producing femsle
flowers ... and my beehive was delivered earlier this week . I have two
options if this is a pest , DE and DiPel . I will not use pesticides or
herbicides , especially now with bees on the property .
My first thought was "Oh no , I've got moles/voles !" but unfortunately it
ain't that easy .

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...h-vine-borers/