Old 19-06-2014, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default jungle warfare

"philgurr" wrote

"Geoff Ellis" wrote in message
web.com...
Hi, I'm a complete non-gardener just about to blitz a completely
overgrown "garden"
Amid the jungle is a plant I would like to retain, but in a different
spot, so would like to take some cuttings, or summick.
I think it's some sort of rose, least ways the stems are equipped with
some viscous anti-personnel barbs/thorns.
A picture is at;
http://1drv.ms/1nQUI5z

So, how do I preserve this plant? I have the use of a neighbour's green
house.

This is a wild rose or 'dog rose' (Rosa canina). Not really worth keeping.

It looks to have larger flowers than the normal wild rose, indeed whilst
walking around the Danebury Hill Fort (Nr Stockbridge) I saw a wild rose
that was different and quite worthy of garden culture. Nice place for a
picnic on a fine sunny day BTW.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.