Old 20-06-2014, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
bluechick bluechick is offline

Default wild winds

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 00:25:14 -0400, songbird
wrote:

and some plants can sit for a while looking like
they are doing little, but they are quite busy
under the surface in sending out new roots and
getting established. like usually the tomatoes
we plant look like they do nothing for the first
three weeks after they've been transplanted.
then we get some hot days and some decent rains
and they start taking off. i think ours have
grown about a foot the past week.

That's certainly true for bamboo. We have several varieties here and
planted one last year that seemed to sit and sulk all through last
spring and summer and set out only one culm in the fall. It resumed
sulking during the normal winter dormant period and then went
absolutely crazy this spring sending out many culms several feet
distant from the center of the original clump.

We have one variety that's edible, but we don't have the heart to eat
it. Its purpose here is to provide screening from the road.