Old 21-06-2014, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith in England Judith in England is offline

Default Tomato plants in soil or pots ?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:17:07 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 16/06/2014 20:23, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/06/2014 19:07, Bob Hobden wrote:
"john west" wrote

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry
type) in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the
tomatoes be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would
they be happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse?
Thanks

I'm surprised that no one has said to do both.
By that I mean plunge the pots half their depth into the soil so that
the roots can grow out of the bottom of the pots and into the soil.
Keep watering the pots well so that the water will soak into the soil
below, in time the roots will follow.

A friend of mine does that with bottomless pots placed in grow bags and swears
by it.