Old 22-06-2014, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default wild winds

On 6/18/2014 11:22 PM, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
I buy strawberries at the market for my wife, I do not like the taste
and texture of modern strawberries. The one's my mother grew back in
the forties and fifties were small with lots of flavor. I guess, as
we age, our tastes change. Some things I used to love to eat now are
not so tasty to me.

And supermarkt strawberries are grown for looks not flavour. It may not be
you that has changed.

and they are not picked anywhere near when they
are fully ripe, in order that they have a chance of
surviving picking, packing, transit, storage, etc.

the berries i picked today, many of them were
so ripe that another day they'd be too ripe.
stacked in the sink they'll mash each other and
drip, but they are very sweet and smell wonderful.

i'm trying to make my first batch of fruit
leather tonight. not sure how it will turn out
yet...

Dear wife loves mangoes, I despise them but love
papaya. First time I ate a papaya was in Bangkok in 1981, fell in
love with them and still buy one at the market every once in awhile.
Most fruits are enjoyable to me as I eat a lot of fruit.

Odd, I have never before met anybody who despises mangoes. Some are
indiferent but most love them. But we give the seeds to babies as teething
aids.

some people do not like resinous notes (which i
do taste in mangoes when i eat them). i love 'em
and wish i could have a mango tree.

songbird

Mangoes and avocados grow well here in Harris Cty, TX, except for the
rare year when we get a couple of hard freezes. I put four dwarf
Barbados cherry bushes in the front flower bed, both in hope of fruit
and that they won't grow over three or four feet tall. That's so I can
sit out and drink my morning coffee while watching the world go by. The
cherries have been in the ground over a year and haven't grown an inch.
Maybe they truly are dwarves. G

George