Old 22-06-2014, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default wild winds

On 6/19/2014 2:33 AM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 19/06/2014 8:48 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Dear wife loves mangoes, I despise them

(snip)

Odd, I have never before met anybody who despises mangoes. Some are
indiferent but most love them.

My son in law shudders at the mere mention of mangoes and has told me
that he will eat anything EXCEPT mangoes. And he was so darned emphatic
about that EXCEPT, that I have to put it in caps.

He grew up in Qld and so can't stand the smell or the sound of them
dropping on the roof or being expected to eat mangoes at every meal. I
also have a neighour who will eat them but turns green if she mentions
the smell of rotting mangoes - she too grew up in Qld.

I've never been to Queensland but can understand to much of one thing
can be a big turnoff. My folks had a big garden and grew mostly corn and
various beans. It was years before I could eat corn or beans after I
left the homestead. I still don't like mangoes though, not even the
smell of them. Our stores stock these tiny little Mexican papaya, I wish
we could get some of those foot long ones from Thailand. Little lime
juice on top and dig in.

Taking the day off from gardening, got a quarter inch of rain yesterday
and the damned grass grew another two inches. It did help the squash and
eggplant, we are being swamped by Ichiban eggplant, already have a
freezer full of moussaka fixings and eggplant fritters. Gonna have to
call in the grand kids to get rid of some of them. Stink bugs are into
the tomatoes, been hosing them off and pruning tomato limbs to let in
the sun. Tomatoes we pick are ugly.