Old 23-06-2014, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Mulching Mowers

jmileman wrote..

We'll be moving house shortly and going from a lawn the size of a postage
stamp to something around a quarter of an acre. Whilst my little Black and
Decker electric mower has done me proud for the last few years I don't
think it's going to be up to the job at the new place. I quite enjoy mowing
the lawn but I hate the hassle of disposing of the cuttings so am thinking
that a mulching mower is the way forward.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mulching mower given the
following

1. Must be petrol and self propelled with a decent width (21" or over)
2. Lawn is flat and square (although I will probably put in some borders
and beds so the shape is likely to change)
3. Not bothered about stripes
4. We have a 10 year old daughter so lawn will be a 'family' type not some
perfectly manicured bowling green
5. Budget around £500

If you intend to make beds in the lawn then you need a roller mower to ease
cutting the edges, a wheeled mower will simply fall down the edge and make a
mess.
Honda is a good make with excellent engines but the cheapest roller mower
they do in about £850.
Other names are Allett, Viking, but they either don't do what you want or
are 4x what you want to pay.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.