Old 23-06-2014, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulching Mowers

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 01:15:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

We'll be moving house shortly and going from a lawn the size of a
postage stamp to something around a quarter of an acre.

snip
I quite enjoy mowing the lawn but I hate the hassle of disposing of the cuttings ...

With a bit of space appearing I'm sure you can find a some where out
of the way to have a compost heap. Don't forget with a few borders
etc you'll have other plant material to get rid of and your own
compost heaps means you don't have to buy. OK pure grass cuttings do
have a habit of going anerobic but they will rot down, other plant
material, food waste etc will help to keep the heap aerobic. If you
want be keen you and turn it but we never bother. We have two bins
one in use for a couple of years the other "resting" before being
used and the use/resting swapped over.

1. Must be petrol and self propelled with a decent width (21" or over)

Do you need that width? We have an 18" and probably not far short of
your area to mow, it's fine.

5. Budget around £500

Compost heap and smaller non-mulching mower will leave the best part
of £300 for plants... I was also under the impression that it's best
to take the cuttings away so as not to provide nutrients for the
grass. The real gardeners in here will correct me on that I'm sure.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.