Old 24-06-2014, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Garden tourists

On 2014-06-24 15:56:47 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

I don't blame the gardeners but the NT seems to have a policy of
allowing a LOT of bare earth to show and that makes a garden look mean
and grudging. Frankly, all too often you can tell the number crunchers
call the shots. In the white garden, in one area, a dozen Cosmos were
trying to do the work of 3 dozen. I saw two plants I'd like to get, a
Euphorbia cornigera (sp?) and a lovely, very old climbing rose on the
wall of the library entrance. It's immediately on your left as you walk
through that arch, past the steps up to her writing 'tower'. It has no
label so I doibt they know what it is, though someone said she'd try to
find out for me.

At Great Dixter, the place just bounces with exuberance and joy. I
really have never seen a garden like it. We all know the received
wisdom of planting loads of one thing in groups or drifts but there,
nobody takes the slightest notice of such 'rules'. A solitary Verbascum
would normally look forlorn but because it's surrounded by loads of
plants and its friends pop up here and there nearby, it's never in
'sore thumb' isolation. There isn't an inch of earth to be seen where
planting is complete and where it wasn't, we encountered Fergus Garrett
and assistants planting Francoa, so he and Ray had a brief discussion
about those! The garden is managed with a light hand but never
over-managed and certainly not manicured. The quantities of meadow
garden are a wonderful counterpoint to the cultivated areas. For the
first time we saw Amicia zygomeris in a garden other than our own and
as you so rightly say, loads of things we grow at home. Tremendous!

--
Sacha

What a shame you didn't have the opportunity to meet Christopher, my wife
did you know. He took her into the potting shed and signed some books she
had bought.

She now has quite a collection of books and experience accrued from over 50
years of gardening!! The visitors to our gardens love them. We had some
Friends of Shanklin Theatre visit us the other day and the expression was
''''' WOW'''. If you ever visit the Isle of Wight Sacha you MUST visit us
and put your silly attitude to bed. Others laugh at you.

Mike