Old 25-06-2014, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulching Mowers

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 02:09:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Other people round by 'ere pay the council £35 to have a green

wheely
bin emptied every couple of weeks in the summer.

PAY! Surely disposal of household waste is a cost than comes out

of
your Council Tax. The only waste disposal we might(*) have to pay
extra for is "bulky items".

in South Kesteven Household waste is limited to one black landfill
wheely bin per fortnight,

Eden District. Weekly collection of the blue bag. aka ordinary
household waste. Fortnightly collection of the "green box",
paper/card, metal, glass & hard plastics. As that list covers nearly
everything we throw out the blue bag only goes out once a fortnight
and even then it's only half full consisting almost entirely of
plastic films of one sort or another. Garden waste is a green wheely
bin fortnighly through the summer, monthly in the winter (Dec, Jan,
Feb).

The limit on the black landful bin is absolute: if the lid is even
slightly raised they won't take it at all.

Don't have wheelie bins, except for the garden waste, slows the
collections down too much. If you blink when they collect the blue
back you'll miss 'em. Truck slows, operative jumps out next to bag,
truck carries on so back is by bag, operative lobs it in, leaves
another bag, jogs to front of truck and off they go. The wheels of
the truck barely stop moving. I'd say 10 to 20 seconds maximum, if it
was a wheelie bin it would still be being hooked on let alone lifted,
emtied, lowered, unhooked, abandoned.

There is a local dump which also takes compostable material as one of
the sorting options. It has been closed for 3 days a week to save
money.

Most of the Cumbria HWRC's are 0800 1800 7 days/week. The nearest
HWRC to us is in Northumberland, all their centers are 7 days/week
0800 1800 Nov - Mar 1930 Apr-Oct. The only days they are closed are
Christmas day and New Years day.

--
Cheers
Dave.