Old 25-06-2014, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Woodworm Woodworm is offline

Default Effective bird scarers

In article , sacha
writes
On 2014-06-24 21:14:46 +0000, Woodworm said:

Snipped.
Now the question:
Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making
bird scarer that would go a very long way to scaring the little
beggars off?
Many thanks

try uk.rec.birdwatching

Except that contributors to that newsgroup are more into encouraging
birds than getting rid of them!

And there's enough of the little beggars now!

If there is a serious health hazard, as opposed to a possible one,
then approach the local council's environmental health department.

EH are not interested until I can bag enough of the stuff to sell as guano
to sacha! Apparently there isn't enough EH Officers to tackle such mundane
problems due to the lack of funds.

I hope you are not being serious when suggesting using a high velocity
.22, which has a range of 45â?"50 yards, among houses, while firing a
small calibre air-rifle at birds to deliberately wound them would be
regarded with disfavour by, e.g., the RSPCA.

1) If I wished to do that, then it's no problem getting hold of a .22 - but
there would be a problem in collecting around 50-100 bodies of jackdaws etc
without the bird-loving neighbours complaining! Besides, it is unlawful to
fire over my garden fence onto their property to shoot the beggars at the
optimum time - when they've got their beaks into the various feeding
troughs!

2) Not interested in what the RSPCA/RSPB have to say - as contrary to
general belief, they cannot simply knock my door and start throwing their
(biased) weight around and expect a result - they have to get the evidence
to obtain a warrant first.

3) And if I wanted to actually 'knock the buggers off', why would I enquire
here for the advice of any contributor who could recommend and *effective*
bird scarer?

And thank for you response - and accept my apologies for brutally snipping
the post.

That's because aioe has a limit on their post size,