Old 27-06-2014, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
bluechick bluechick is offline

Default Berry Pickin'!

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:42:13 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On Monday, June 2, 2014 7:42:25 PM UTC-5, bluechick wrote:

We also planted some
thornless varieties (Arapaho and Ouachita) at the same time but they
seem to be less vigorous. Anyone with experience with thornless
blackberries?

I've been very happy with my thornless blackberries which I planted perhaps 20 years ago. Don't make the error I made and plant them next to a fence because of course they will spread and soon will be right up against the fence and then you won't have the access to keep the weeds under control. This is a good damp berry year here. I have been picking raspberries and the thornless blackberries are just turning pink now.

Hi, Dave!

Are your thornless blackberries as prolific as the thorny varieties?
Our Ouachita is weak so we pinched the flower buds to keep its
energies to reviving itself. Arapaho is thriving. However, it
doesn't seem to have as many berries as the Kiowi (large thorny type).
All of these were newly transplanted earlier this year so I realize
none of them will be as prolific as the established plants are. Just
wondered how yours are doing after a few years.

All our berries are planted near a fence so...too late. However,
we can get to both sides of the fence as it's on our property. We
haven't had a problem weeding yet.

We were told that raspberries wouldn't grow here but our lone plant
went nuts and produced its little heart out. It must be very happy in
the location where we put it. I intend to get another raspberry plant
or three next year.

We had lots of rain early in the spring when the plants were flowering
but then went into a dry spell, then we thought we might need to build
an arc. It's been literally feast or famine where rain is
concerned. We've had very little rain the last two weeks but had a
sprinkle today. I was afraid this would be like last year when so
many berries dried up on the canes. Even with the uneven rains this
has been a much better year.