Old 27-06-2014, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Odd kind of clover invading my lawn...

On 27/06/2014 11:32, AL_n wrote:
Good day all,

For several weeks, I've noticed a patch of my lawn (about 1 metre diameter)
that is a yellower shade of green than the rest of the lawn. On closer
examination, I find that this patch has been invaded by an unusual-looking
variety of clover which has totally smothered all the grass that was once
there. Like your usual clover, each leaf is in triplicate, but the leaves
are smaller and more triangular, and each leaf has a brown speck in the
middle. It seems to be spreading via runners. The dark brown runners are
particularly strong and wirey. Is anyone familiar with this invader, and
can you suggest a way to eradicate it?

Many thanks, on this grey drizzly day!

Spotted Medick perhaps.
http://www.seasonalwildflowers.com/a...ed-medick.html

Trefoil type plants in lawns seem quite hard to get rid of unless you
use a selective lawn weed herbicide. My other half uses a noxious liquid
chemical called Verdone Extra to deal with Lesser Trefoil, Medick and
similar lawn colonisers.

Personally, I'd rather have a pink and white clover lawn, with some
speedwell for good measure, and let the daisies and other low growing
wild things colonise as they will, but so far I haven't managed to
persuade him.

--
Sue